13 April 2010

At the hairdressers - kuaför

S & B, Çengelköy,
Thursday, midday

Since I was a little girl I had realized that going to the hairdressers was something essential to the women living in Istanbul. In Finland we were used to cutting our hair by ourselves (I cut my friends' hair, they cut mine ect), not to talk about the manicures and pedicures (what luxury!). So, at the beginning of every summer my mother took me to the kuaför in Selimiye and  I could choose the style I wanted. For me it was more of a chance to experiment something that couldn't be done at home so the results were various. Entertaining it was.

A few days ago I went to cut my hair, and recognised the familiar sounds and scents. The keynote sound of hairdressers, the fön, huffed most of the time accompanied by the radio and small chatter of ladies having their nails done:



The sound of scissors clipping my hair was something that maked me feel just a bit pampered. And while modeling my hair, Metin bey flattered me, admiring the looks of my face (as a good kuaför should, of course). The leasurely afternoon was well spent. Listen to the clip:

No comments:

Post a Comment